I know this is a dead blog as I have not posted in a long time, nor do I plan on actively posting on here, so I don't know how many people will see it. However, this is an update on my status regarding my membership in the LDS church. Today, 8-10-2009 I no longer consider myself a member of the LDS church.
I sent the following letter to my current bishop:
Although I consider myself "non-Mormon", I understand that the church is going to go through a process to remove my name from their records. I will update the progress of this process.
I wanted to outline the specific "doctrinal and historical" claims made by the church that I do not believe, but simply did not have the space as I wanted to keep it a single page letter. Here are the specific claims that I do not believe:
- The Book of Abraham is a literal translation of an ancient document written by Abraham
- The Book of Mormon is literally a historical record of real ancient inhabitants that really lived in the Americas and came over by boat from the old world.
- Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, who literally saw God the father and Jesus
- The Book of Mormon was literally translated from gold-colored metal plates that physically existed
- The doctrines of the LDS church are eternal and the same yesterday, today and forever.